The Saunders Cervical Traction Device is considered to be one of the most effective, if not the, most effective, at home cervical traction device on the market right now. It comes with very high recommendations from a broad range of therapists and other health care professionals. In fact, many of them even use them in their own in-office practices.
Cervical traction in general is considered to be the most effective prescription free and non-surgical solution to eliminate, or at the very least reduce, neck pain caused by many things including (but not limited to) arthritis, herniated or bulging discs, muscle and ligament issues, neck strains, chronic pain, and injury or trauma.
Like most traction devices of this type, the Saunders Cervical Traction Device works by gently and gradually pulling the head upward, causing the muscles and ligaments in the neck to stretch. This creates more space between the cervical discs giving relief, and allowing for better blood flow and oxygenation, both of which are required for proper healing.
This method, for the most part, is attributed to quicker relief and a much faster (and less painful) recovery time in most subjects. However, consistency and regular treatment are required for long-lasting relief of pain and side-effects (numbness, etc). On that note, it has been proven that people will access to at home treatment options that are simple and easy to use, are more apt to actually follow their treatment plan than those who do not have the luxury or option.
Devices such as this are useful for relief of neck pain that is caused by many reasons, from minor whiplash to simply sitting for too long at a desk job. Traction can also be done manually by a physical therapist, however that can run into thousands of dollars, and many people are simply more comfortable with treatment in their own home.
The comfort level is crucial to the treatment itself because being tense during the session can impede the success of the treatment.
While most at home traction devices work in generally the same manner, the features of the Saunders Cervical Traction Device in particular are as follows:
- The device’s simple and easy to read gauge allows both an accurate reading, as well as total control and consistency in traction during each and every session.
- Safety features such as the blow-off valve are also great features provided by Saunders in this design. The blow-off valve is designed to limit the amount of traction to what has been deemed a safe level of tension, it also allows for an immediate release if for any reason the patient feels uncomfortable with the treatment at any given time.
- The force behind the traction is placed primarily on the Occiput (back of the head) to avoid uncomfortable, and sometimes even painful, pressure on the Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ, or jaw joints) and teeth as is often seen with traditional over the door devices.
- This device is designed for use in the supine position (while lying down), allowing for maximum comfort and relaxation, which is vital for a successful treatment.
- The angle of incline is adjustable to five, ten, fifteen, or twenty degrees- also to provide the most comfort possible for the individual using the device.
- Other customization is also given in the form of the device’s adjustable neck wedges, and an adjustable and comfortable forehead strap, providing a good fit for almost anyone.
- The Saunders Cervical Traction Device is easy to set-up, put on and operate, meaning that for most patients no assistance is necessary and they are able to conduct their own treatments at a time that is convenient for them. There is also no assembly required and the device is ready to use within a moment of opening the package.
- The size of this device is also a great benefit, as it is lightweight and portable, and also includes a carry case, making it perfect for travelling.
- The headrest is easily removable, and that coupled with the durable vinyl outer fabric make the device very easy to clean.
- This method of treatment is proven to be a possible alternative to traditional medicinal, prescription, and other physiotherapy methods, and even as an alternative to surgery in many cases!
While this device is top of the line in the home traction therapy industry, it does come with a pretty hefty price tag. It does seem expensive to many, and understandably so, however when compared to the thousands of dollars (or even more) that would potentially be spent on physiotherapy sessions otherwise, it seems that if it provided some relief it would be money well spent.
As with any at home and alternative treatment, it is vitally important and cannot be stressed enough that you should consult with your physiotherapist or practitioner before, as well as regularly during, the treatment process.
Their advice will be invaluable to you as you begin the treatment as they will be able to tell you what amount of tension you should begin with, as well as how often you should do the treatments. It is also important to seek your doctor’s advice before you increase, decrease, or change the intensity or the frequency of your treatments in any way.
You will also need to ensure that using devices such as this will do no further damage, as even though this form of treatment is proven to be successful in many cases, it is not a solution for every circumstance.
All in all, this product is well-known in the community of neck pain sufferers, and blazing reviews and plenty of praise is given before you will hear any complaint. The device is well built and sturdy and also well designed for ease of use, simplicity of design, customization to provide comfort, and provides a wide range of treatment options.
If you are a person who suffers from neck pain, whether it be due to chronic issues, trauma, or injury, this device is absolutely worth your attention and consideration when viewing and discussing your possible treatment options.